Sealed Game Heaven
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sealed game prices affected by the general economy?

5 posters

Go down

Sealed game prices affected by the general economy? Empty Sealed game prices affected by the general economy?

Post by pooch Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:45 am

I have been reading a lot of financial news lately due to my job. The basic message I am getting is the negative outlook on the global economy and therefore experts advice us to curb our spending during these bad times. So I was wondering if this means that the price of games, sealed games in particular, would go down.

I would think that the prices should come down a bit as businesses are not doing that well either. I have just read that retail businesses from where I'm from has dropped somewhat in the past few months. However, this is not the trend I am observing in sealed games. The prices remain to be quite stable and some sealed games prices have appreciated from 2 years ago.

I would love to know your thoughts on this. yeah!

pooch
Complete in box, mint
Complete in box, mint

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2007-11-02

Back to top Go down

Sealed game prices affected by the general economy? Empty Re: Sealed game prices affected by the general economy?

Post by Sammelhammel Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:46 pm

people who can afford sealed games (especially the expensive ones) give a shit about the global economy Very Happy

That's my opinion.
I think sealed collectors have enough money (except me yes! ) that they don't care about the oil price or stuff like that.
Maybe 0-10% of the sealed collectors have to give up their hobby because of the negative outlook...but I don't think that's a reason why the prices will go down Smile
Sammelhammel
Sammelhammel
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Number of posts : 543
Country : Sealed game prices affected by the general economy? Flag_germany
Registration date : 2007-07-29

Back to top Go down

Sealed game prices affected by the general economy? Empty Re: Sealed game prices affected by the general economy?

Post by violentsnake Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:03 pm

I can't see any general noticeable decline in the sealed game market. I wouldn't be surprised though if maybe some prices of rarer higher priced games start to come down a bit just because more will pop up on the market, and bidders will notice this and not bid as high because they feel comfortable another one will appear for sale again soon enough.

Take Chrono Trigger for example. About 6 or 7 months ago one closed at $1225. I remember this, because I was bidder #2 at $1200. At the time, one wasn't listed on ebay for months. Now there almost seems to be a CT monthly, and there's no way I'd bid that high again because I see it more often. Add to that I know some people are starting to feel the financial crunch and more people may find themselves in a position where they need to part with theirs.

Personally I've been waiting for this day when the US ecomony is failing and the Canadian dollar has consistently been at par. As far as the global market, I really have no idea. I know here in BC, Canada though we're doing awesome and that's all I care about!
violentsnake
violentsnake
cartridge+manual
cartridge+manual

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by yobo Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:31 am

Im having a great time buying anything I want sealed right now. I have seen more unique, rare, and obscure items on ebay this year than the previous 5 years combined so I can't complain yes!

However, I do agree that some people have to sell their expensive items for financial reasons and yes this year is very unusual in terms of some of the higher-end items that have been sold. So yes, for those who have money, now is the time to spend it!

yobo
factory sealed, y-fold (with tears)
factory sealed, y-fold (with tears)

Number of posts : 710
Country : Sealed game prices affected by the general economy? Flag_usa
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini-Phoenix Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:22 am

I believe that it's all relative. The kind of demographic that collect and buy such items in the first place are usually those who have a high, stable, and / or a very disposable income in the first place, and therefore such things are trivial. Ie, the kinds of people who buy Neo Geo AES games possibly aren't the type who live in a two-up, two-down council house and live off Tesco Value baked beans...
Gemini-Phoenix
Gemini-Phoenix

Number of posts : 1175
Country : Sealed game prices affected by the general economy? Flag_e10
Registration date : 2007-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down