Sealed Game Heaven
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

some noob questions

5 posters

Go down

some noob questions Empty some noob questions

Post by panyan Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:20 pm

i just want to ask a few things:

1) is it possible to reseal or buy ps3 sleeves for games that come in shrink wrap?

2) where can you get reshrinking machines from in the uk?

3) do all uk retailers sell y-fold games or also shrink wrapped?

thanks

the reason i want to know is becuase i brought a "new" copy of cod4 from gamestation and opened it to find a dirty great scratch in the centre and when i tried to return it they said that it was open so i could have done that! i was outraged so tried to find a tutorial on the internet help me and this seems like the closest place!

panyan
cartridge only
cartridge only

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-11-14

Back to top Go down

some noob questions Empty Re: some noob questions

Post by Gemini-Phoenix Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:36 pm

As much as we would like them to, not all retailers sell sealed games. Also, not all PS3 games come sealed (Ie, Mostly Konami games like MGS 4 and Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 etc)

GameStation are well known to own shrinkwrapping machines, as are HMV. Did your game come in shrinkwrap or cellophane ("Y" style folded ends)? If it was sealed with thick cellophane, then perhaps you'd be better contacting the manufacturer if you're having no luck with GameStation, as it is most likely a manufacturing error which has caused the damage. If it was simply covered in shrinkwrap, it is most likely a reseal
Gemini-Phoenix
Gemini-Phoenix

Number of posts : 1175
Registration date : 2007-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post by panyan Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:24 pm

i think cod4 came in y fold cellophane,...
if it did come in shrinkwrap (i cant remember) where to get ?

p.s. i already emailed infinity ward and they said they have nothing to do with it because of some lame reason

panyan
cartridge only
cartridge only

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by striker Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:55 pm

i thought all games came with a limited warranty these days? As long as you have receipt that says you bought it new from an actual store it doesn't matter if it was wrapped in cling wrap. I would Call the manufacturer again.
striker
striker
factory sealed, y-fold (with tears)
factory sealed, y-fold (with tears)

Number of posts : 744
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post by bassman8866 Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:16 pm

I have some questions also. I have dealt in sealed Nintendo products so how do you know a playstation game is brand new? What is a Y-Fold?
bassman8866
bassman8866
shrinkwrapped (with holes)
shrinkwrapped (with holes)

Number of posts : 380
Registration date : 2008-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by The Imp Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:45 am

panyan wrote:is it possible to reseal or buy ps3 sleeves for games that come in shrink wrap?
Sure.

panyan wrote:where can you get reshrinking machines from in the uk?
Shrinkwrapping can also be done on a per-unit basis with a more basic set of equipment. You could probably get the equipment you need for about £100. Try eBay. Heck, you could always just buy shrinkwrap bags and us something like a paint-stipping heatgun, or even an oven (NOT a microwave!) if you're prepared to risk it. But, you'll usually have to buy the plastic that you use to shrinkwrap, in bulk. So that could cost a bit.

panyan wrote:do all uk retailers sell y-fold games or also shrink wrapped?
It sometimes varies from store to store. It depends on their policies, which might come from their corporate parent, but might be just their own. If you usually shop at one store, and often enough that you know the staff there, and buy the games that you want sealed at launch, you might be able to ask them to put one aside for you when they unpack their incoming stock.

bassman8866 wrote:What is a Y-Fold?
A Y-fold is a seal where a single plastic sheet is cut to exact size and wrapped around the case, then folded at the top and glued.

This is different to shrinkwrapped, which is the other main style used for sealing console video games, in that shrinkwrap starts out as an oversized sheet or bag, which the case it wrapped in plastic and which is then sealed at by using a heated element, which causes the plastic to shrink around the case.

Both styles are typically completed during the manufacturing phase, and are automated.

A Y-fold is two edges overlapping and being glued between. Y-folds can come apart if the glue deteriorates, so they're more fragile. However, they're much harder to imitate, making a resealed Y-folded article a ridiculously rare thing (for now- it'll only get cheaper and easier over time).

Almost all CDs/DVDs and - at this point in time - almost all non-PC video games - use Y-folded plastic wrap. You'll know one once you see one - it's basically the only other kind of seal other thank shinkwrap these days.

Shrinkwrapping is cheaper, so sometimes some publishers try to save a buck by shrinkwrapping. Although rare, sometimes they will not bother with any kind of seal at all (this is rare because it aggravates retail tremendously, even if they just unseal the games themselves).

panyan wrote:p.s. i already emailed infinity ward and they said they have nothing to do with it because of some lame reason
Yeah, the Publisher (EA in this case, I think) makes those choices. Developers program the games, publishers do almost everything else (and so get most of the actual money from the sale of the game). Some developers are big enough to also be publishers; becoming a publisher requires a very large investment in infrastructure - machinery and personnel - it's not something you usually do unless you have a lot of money and know a lot of people in the industry.

Publishers usually organize things like printing and manufacturing, advertising and marketing, negotiating with (for example) the console vendor for the right to publish the game, making submissions to ratings boards to get classifications, cross-licensing with strategy guide makers or companies making action figures or cartoons or whatever, organizing pre-release builds for trade shows and reviewers, convincing games and department stores to stock the game and promote it in their catalogs and display it on more visible shelves, handling after-sales support including returns, etc. Developers are usually just a bunch of programmers, and they are typically not interested in doing any of those things! :-)

The Imp
cartridge+manual
cartridge+manual

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2007-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by panyan Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:39 pm

^wow thanks for all that

panyan
cartridge only
cartridge only