Sealed Game Heaven
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do we sometimes expect too much?

5 posters

Go down

Do we sometimes expect too much? Empty Do we sometimes expect too much?

Post by Gemini-Phoenix Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:40 am

Are we sometimes too fussy about the sealed games we buy?

Gemini-Phoenix wrote:In this day and age though, do we often ask too much? After all, to find a SNES game in this condition after all these years is still amazing, especially when you consider that sealed game collecting wasn't really as popular back then as it is now. Plus, games weren't as widely available sealed back then, especially PAL SNES games...

I was wondering... When dealing with older games from the 8bit and 16bit era, our whole attitude is the same as if we were dealing with current-gen games. Yet do we really expect the same standards from 15-20 year olds games that have survived the test of time in the condition they are in?

It's easy to say "I'll pass and wait for the next sealed copy that comes along", but sometimes you might be waiting years, if at all! We're quick to pick out minor damage to the plastic, but for a 15 year old gameis it to be expected? After all, can we really expect something like a PAL SNES game to remain 100% perfect? Same applies for many GameBoy games which seem to be going up in value these days, and are equally as rare to find in sealed condition.

Also, stickers. When dealing with newer games, or even older ones, do stickers really matter? Obviously they're aproblem if they are on the box / case underneath the wrapper, but are they really such a negative selling point if they are on the outside? After all, we want the game underneath to be undamaged, but sometimes it seems as if some people care more about the plastic on top.

I must admit, I am a bit picky and don't tend to like to buy a PlayStation game which has torn cellophane and lets in dust etc, but I don't really worry too much if the cellophane has a sticker on the outside. In fact, i'm more annoyed if the sticker has been attempted to be removed and has either left a ripped mess, or has successfully been removed and has left a small mound where the adhesive has melted the plastic. I much prefer stickers to be left how they are.

The only negative side to this is the fact that they ruin the aesthetic appeal of the cover artwork, especially if the sticker has been slapped randomly across the front of the cover. But so long as the game below the plastic is not damaged, I don't really mind so much

Last edited by Gemini-Phoenix on Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Gemini-Phoenix
Gemini-Phoenix

Number of posts : 1175
Registration date : 2007-08-18

Back to top Go down

Do we sometimes expect too much? Empty Re: Do we sometimes expect too much?

Post by Startyde Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:01 am

I go back and forth. I have tiers of collecting.

If it's a game I truly love, I will overlook minor flaws because I'm thrilled to have it. If it's a game I want because I simply want to have it, I tend to be more fussy because I'm not motivated by anything outside of a sealed copy of a game.

So in a sick way, the more I love a game, the less fussy I get about condition. Just wierd.

A good example is Genesis Games. Nice, relatively cheap hobby to get into, but man, so hard to find ANY Gen game without major cracks or damage to their wrap.
Startyde
Startyde
shrinkwrapped (flawless)
shrinkwrapped (flawless)

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2007-11-28

http://startyde.rubberslug.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini-Phoenix Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:36 am

I'm quite fussy, but if a game is particularly rare in sealed condition, then I overlook slight damage. For example, I own a sealed Bubble Bobble for PlayStation (PAL) that has a few cracks in the case, but I accept it because the game in this condition is very rare. Obviously, if a better condition one came along, I would gladly bid on that instead
Gemini-Phoenix
Gemini-Phoenix

Number of posts : 1175
Registration date : 2007-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post by fun2k Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:48 am

i feel a similar consensus with gemini,if a game is very rare and if the price is not so high i will buy is just for the sake of owning it even if it does have a crack or tear.

small cellophane rips dont bother me much as much a jewel case cracks.but even some small cracks on the side and hardly visible i have come to except untill i can find a replacement.

fun2k
cartridge+manual
cartridge+manual

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by jd-83 Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:50 am

To me, games with flaws are like cheat codes: they can make things much easier, but it's not as rewarding in the end.

I wouldn't accept anything less than your typical VGA 85.

jd-83
cartridge+manual
cartridge+manual

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2008-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post by fun2k Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:29 am

"To each their own"

i agree with you theres nothing more satisfying as a collector than to receive a perfect sealed copy.
i bet everyone here has some sort of flawed items that they keep on the side to replace one day when they find a better deal.

95% of all my games are in near perfect condition.
im very picky on condition myself but some of my flawed game i have just learned to accept them until atleast i can find something better.

fun2k
cartridge+manual
cartridge+manual

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by jd-83 Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:49 am

Well, I don't expect absolutely gem-mint flawless (I should have been more specific). I have yet to see a VGA 100, and I bet I could count the ones that have a 95 on one hand. But I don't buy games I plan on replacing either. Technically, an 85 does have some flaws though.

jd-83
cartridge+manual
cartridge+manual

Back to top Go down

Post by rarebucky Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:41 am

Not really. Almost all of my VGA 85s are absolutely mint, case fresh. 85 is a misleading grade because it sounds worse than it is. I have a few 90s as well and sometimes I can't tell the difference. You don't start getting flaws until you hit a VGA 80.

rarebucky
factory sealed, gem mint
factory sealed, gem mint

Number of posts : 1369
Registration date : 2007-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by jd-83 Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:32 am

Actually, VGA 85s do have flaws. If they didn't, they would be 100s. And I have seen and held 85s that had very small dents and light scratches, so I know this to be true.

I do agree with you, however: an 85 isn't a bad grade. They are actually quite nice, but I wouldn't accept anything less.

jd-83
cartridge+manual
cartridge+manual

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum