Sealed Game Heaven
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why no security stickers anymore on PS3, Wii, DS etc?

5 posters

Go down

Why no security stickers anymore on PS3, Wii, DS etc? Empty Why no security stickers anymore on PS3, Wii, DS etc?

Post by yobo Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:38 am

I was at the store the other day and looking at how todays games are sealed. What I noticed is very shocking to me. No more security stickers with the printed names of the games on newer PS2, PS3, Wii and DS even PSP games. Only X-Box games had the security stickers and they look much more professional and collectible as well.

What is the reason for this? Trying to cut costs?

yobo
factory sealed, y-fold (with tears)

Number of posts : 710
Country : Why no security stickers anymore on PS3, Wii, DS etc? Flag_usa
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Why no security stickers anymore on PS3, Wii, DS etc? Empty Re: Why no security stickers anymore on PS3, Wii, DS etc?

Post by The Imp Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:37 am

Hm. I wasn't aware that any of those consoles' games *ever* had "security" stickers, except for the PlayStation 2 (and XBox).

You're talking about the NTSC/US region, right?

Unless I misunderstand what you're saying… Are the stickers that you are used to seeing actually security stickers, or just ordinary stickers that the store themselves put on the outside of the plastic wrap (actual security stickers would always be underneath the plastic).

If you're sure I'm mistaken (quite possible, I suppose), could you post a picture of a PS3/Wii/DS/PSP game with a security sticker?

The Imp
cartridge+manual
cartridge+manual

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2007-09-27

Back to top Go down

Why no security stickers anymore on PS3, Wii, DS etc? Empty Re: Why no security stickers anymore on PS3, Wii, DS etc?

Post by striker Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:45 am

Wii, DS, PS3 and PSP never had the security stickers that you speak of. X-Box 360 has that green sticker on the side where the game would open, but the others never had it. Even late PS2 games ditched this practice.

I think the original purpose of those stickers was to stop theft (in the early days of dvd, people would open the dvd-case from the top/bottom and remove the disc in order to steal it w/o setting off an alarm.

I have no idea what those stickers did to stop it, but maybe they find them ineffective, or maybe people are stealing games in a more convenient way through piracy so they have ditched the idea altogether.
striker
striker

Number of posts : 744
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post by yobo Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:01 am

At the store yesterday, I saw 2 different Wii games (both sports) with the security sticker on top. None had the name of the game tough. Not like X-Box.

The reason I bought this topic up is because I have heard of people buying new games, taking out the disc and replacing it with a blank one, resealing it and returning it for a full refund. I doubt their reseals are convincing tough but it does happen.

Edit: I would think the stickers would add value to the game collecting-wise as well. At least for me.

yobo

Number of posts : 710
Country : Why no security stickers anymore on PS3, Wii, DS etc? Flag_usa
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by phear3d Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:17 am

striker wrote:
I think the original purpose of those stickers was to stop theft (in the early days of dvd, people would open the dvd-case from the top/bottom and remove the disc in order to steal it w/o setting off an alarm.
this.

these days its not that much of a problem really. as they've come up with better ways of protecting the dvds, like those magnetic white stickers on cases that are a pain in the ass to remove. eventually they'll make it inside the cases and thats what you see now on most games once you've opened them. they are as rare as the games that protect them. the xbox 360 still has them since the games are $60 and i guess they just like them.
phear3d
phear3d
cartridge+manual
cartridge+manual

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by striker Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:22 am

yobo wrote:At the store yesterday, I saw 2 different Wii games (both sports) with the security sticker on top. None had the name of the game tough. Not like X-Box.

The reason I bought this topic up is because I have heard of people buying new games, taking out the disc and replacing it with a blank one, resealing it and returning it for a full refund. I doubt their reseals are convincing tough but it does happen.

Edit: I would think the stickers would add value to the game collecting-wise as well. At least for me.

If you're gonna go through the trouble of resealing, why not remove the security sticker in such a way that you can put it back on?

And yea they do add value to collecting them, because even though you can reseal a game you can't make a new holographic sticker for it.
striker
striker

Number of posts : 744
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini-Phoenix Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:10 pm

I believe these labels form part of the certificate Of Authenticity (At least in the case of UK Xbox and X360 games they do), and thus also form a security measure to prevent tampering. To the best of my knowledge, isn't it illegal for these COA's to be broken prior to being sold? After all, they're there as a guarantee to the consumer that no tampering has occured, yet some shops sell these games opened, or with the COA damaged.
Gemini-Phoenix
Gemini-Phoenix

Number of posts : 1175
Country : Why no security stickers anymore on PS3, Wii, DS etc? Flag_e10
Registration date : 2007-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down