Sealed Game Heaven
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sealed games in collection: [number] profile field poll

+8
Gemini-Phoenix
Ostro
Startyde
pandaholic
Pascal
Repason
Sammelhammel
Dark Sol
12 posters

Go down

Sealed games in collection: [number] profile field poll

Sealed games in collection: [number] profile field poll Vote_lcap60%Sealed games in collection: [number] profile field poll Vote_rcap 60% 
[ 9 ]
Sealed games in collection: [number] profile field poll Vote_lcap40%Sealed games in collection: [number] profile field poll Vote_rcap 40% 
[ 6 ]

Total Votes : 15

Sealed games in collection: [number] profile field poll Empty Sealed games in collection: [number] profile field poll

Post by Dark Sol Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:35 pm

I guess it will be cool to have a field in profile where we could add a number of how many sealed games each of us have. Laughing
Dark Sol
Dark Sol
factory sealed SingStar ABBA

Number of posts : 2150
Country : Sealed games in collection: [number] profile field poll Flag_russia
Registration date : 2007-11-16

http://www.jrpg.org

Back to top Go down

Sealed games in collection: [number] profile field poll Empty Re: Sealed games in collection: [number] profile field poll

Post by Sammelhammel Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:39 pm

I want it too, cause I have a small dick and I want a larger one.
Sammelhammel
Sammelhammel
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Number of posts : 543
Country : Sealed games in collection: [number] profile field poll Flag_germany
Registration date : 2007-07-29

Back to top Go down

Sealed games in collection: [number] profile field poll Empty Re: Sealed games in collection: [number] profile field poll

Post by Dark Sol Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:41 pm

Sammelhammel wrote:I want it too, cause I have a small dick and I want a larger one.
Me too. Laughing lol!
Dark Sol
Dark Sol

Back to top Go down

Post by Repason Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:26 pm

LOL, what was the poll originally about? Smile Memory doesn't serve me well in my 80
lol!

Repason
cartridge+manual
cartridge+manual

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2008-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Pascal Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:43 pm

Sammelhammel wrote:I want it too, cause I have a small dick and I want a larger one.

:rofl: !
Pascal
Pascal
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1594

http://www.sealedgameheaven.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pandaholic Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:56 pm

Number of games, sure. But i mean, that could mean 1000 Sonic Game Gear or 10 Chrono Trigger.
pandaholic
pandaholic
Complete in box, mint
Complete in box, mint

Number of posts : 256
Country : Sealed games in collection: [number] profile field poll Flag_sweden
Registration date : 2007-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Startyde Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:57 pm

pandaholic wrote:Number of games, sure. But i mean, that could mean 1000 Sonic Game Gear or 10 Chrono Trigger.

I agree. I don't really care about someone's Tiger Game.com collection, though maybe I should.
Startyde
Startyde
shrinkwrapped (flawless)
shrinkwrapped (flawless)

Number of posts : 418
Country : Sealed games in collection: [number] profile field poll Flag_usa
Registration date : 2007-11-28

http://startyde.rubberslug.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Sol Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:16 pm

As for i don't care about game.com or chrono triggers. Numbers are just numbers. I can also buy a tonn of cheap sealed crap. But i don't care. I'd better buy one Actraiser Smile
Dark Sol
Dark Sol

Back to top Go down

Post by Startyde Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:20 pm

Dark Sol wrote:As for i don't care about game.com or chrono triggers. Numbers are just numbers. I can also buy a tonn of cheap sealed crap. But i don't care. I'd better buy one Actraiser Smile

On that note, I feel a line that tells what our favoirte kind of hot pocket is, is just as pertinent as how many games we have. I say this not as a man with a relatively small but sentimental collection, but as a visionary ahead of my time.
Startyde
Startyde
shrinkwrapped (flawless)
shrinkwrapped (flawless)

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2007-11-28

http://startyde.rubberslug.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ostro Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:31 am

You could just turn G-P's topic into a nice statistic open for everyone, detailed numbers, done.
Nothing special and not just a senseless number in your profile.
Ostro
Ostro
Complete in box, good condition

Number of posts : 123

http://kris.mkrevo.de/collection/

Back to top Go down

Post by pandaholic Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:34 am

Ostro wrote:You could just turn G-P's topic into a nice statistic open for everyone, detailed numbers, done.

Good idea.
pandaholic
pandaholic
Complete in box, mint
Complete in box, mint

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini-Phoenix Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:10 am

Ostro wrote:You could just turn G-P's topic into a nice statistic open for everyone, detailed numbers, done.

Tell me what you have in mind and i'll see what I can do with it. Although one problem I see here is how to keep it up-to-date and choreographed - I initially wanted to limit it to a certain number of members to save effort updating it too often

I'm sure we could work with what we have though and evolve it into something else. The idea is there, we just need to fine-tune it into something that everyone is happy with
Gemini-Phoenix
Gemini-Phoenix

Number of posts : 1175
Country : Sealed games in collection: [number] profile field poll Flag_e10
Registration date : 2007-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post by striker Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:14 am

sorry gemini but were we to do it according to your previous guidelines it would have been a one man club.

And the quantity doesn't necessarily reflect much either. example is if someone had new sealed sports games starting with fifa 96 for every system. It would cost maybe 200$ to complete that entire collection those games are so dirt cheap lol. Numbers alone don't tell the story.

I'm not a big fan of the idea.
striker
striker
factory sealed, y-fold (with tears)

Number of posts : 744
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Sol Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:16 am

Well. i don't think anyone here collects masses of sport games to start with..
Dark Sol
Dark Sol

Back to top Go down

Post by striker Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:51 am

well, as another example, some ppl collect wii/ds/ps3 games. These are freely available in stores today. Nothing fantastic about collecting this right now, maybe in 10 years time. But it would add a lot of #'s to the sealed game list.

Is it impressive, a library of games that looks like the local wal-mart? I am more impressed by some rare classics.

But it's just my opinion, that 1 sealed game can be better than 10 sealed games. Maybe some people like quantity over quality.
striker
striker

Number of posts : 744
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post by The Imp Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:21 pm

Sorry, I'm going to vote "No" on this.

The number could be baseless, in the sense already discussed here: the value of Factory Sealed games, for each person, is different. A mere counter says that one has a lot of games, but not what those games are. They do not necessarily represent any particular value, monetary or otherwise, to the collector themselves or anyone else.

A bigger problem; no-on verifies anything. I could just say "I own 10,000,000 unique Factory Sealed games", and you'd not be able to challenge me. Even if that sounds silly, if I picked a number that was more believable and, upon being challenged, produced a list of mediocre games, no-one would even ask for pictures as proof (no-on is really curious as to the condition of your Factory Sealed Madden '08). And even if someone demands proof of every game, I could just say something like "I don't own a camera". How fair is it if you don't believe me? All that would do is throw suspicion on *all* people who use that field. Heck, games change hands regularly and there are enough collectors in the world that a Google Images search would probably be enough to produces thousands of collection-quality pictures of Factory Sealed games.

Sorry, I'm a computer programmer. It's part of my job to find non-technological problems with technology-only solutions (fine, you've got a number: but can you be sure that this number means what you think it does?). But those issues I argue above, while they are valid problems, are not the reason why I object.

I personally don't like this idea because I object to elitism, and I see such a field as a form of that (pure intentions aside). Most of us, or even - hopefully - all of us, come here to belong to a community of other people with the same hobby, where we tell others about our collections only in the hope that others will be interested. Not to stroke our egos with boasts of how much better our collection is than any other, exaggerated or not.

We are all collectors here, united by our love of Factory Sealed games. What is the point of dividing us up with arbitrary numbers?

Pascal wrote:
Everyone who join us becomes automatically a privileged SGH member

On the other hand, it doesn't actually hurt anybody. Since I can just leave the field blank, it doesn't truly bother me if it is added. It's perfectly harmless if you pretend it doesn't exist.

The Imp
cartridge+manual
cartridge+manual

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2007-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by yobo Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:02 pm

striker wrote:well, as another example, some ppl collect wii/ds/ps3 games. These are freely available in stores today. Nothing fantastic about collecting this right now, maybe in 10 years time. But it would add a lot of #'s to the sealed game list.

Is it impressive, a library of games that looks like the local wal-mart? I am more impressed by some rare classics.

But it's just my opinion, that 1 sealed game can be better than 10 sealed games. Maybe some people like quantity over quality.

You read my mind Striker. Anyone can go into the clearance section of Wal-Mart and knock off 50 different sealed Wii games for less then $20 each or 200 different PS2 games for about $5 each. I think this thread or idea is pointless but there do seem to be several people on this site who favour quantity over quality and freely available games over the hunt.

Sealed collecting is a niche hobby and a little privacy would be nice as well. This idea should be optional but I would definatly not participate. I collect for myself not others.

yobo

Number of posts : 710
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Ostro Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:24 am

Gemini-Phoenix wrote:Tell me what you have in mind and i'll see what I can do with it. Although one problem I see here is how to keep it up-to-date and choreographed - I initially wanted to limit it to a certain number of members to save effort updating it too often
I was just thinking of detailed lists like you did them.
Maybe put in more things (if people want). Monthly updates should be enough and it would be at least 3 people who can update - admins and member who started the topic.

And it shouldn't be just to show off. I own way less sealed games than most members here but I'd still like such lists.
Ostro
Ostro

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Sol Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:57 am

Detailed list would be a pain in the ass and a total mess. I thought about something we should have on the left, right where avatars and other information. Some additional field reflecting total number of sealed games.
Maybe this field:
"sealed games retro/modern: "

where retro is everything before 2000-2002.
Dark Sol
Dark Sol

Back to top Go down

Post by jim.jupiter Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:56 pm

what exactly is the point of all that extra-numbers-field discussion? i can write that i have one million sealed games & there is no way to check (and what would be the purpose of checking anyway)

jim.jupiter
Complete in box, mint
Complete in box, mint

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini-Phoenix Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:06 pm

Ostro wrote:
Gemini-Phoenix wrote:Tell me what you have in mind and i'll see what I can do with it. Although one problem I see here is how to keep it up-to-date and choreographed - I initially wanted to limit it to a certain number of members to save effort updating it too often
I was just thinking of detailed lists like you did them.
Maybe put in more things (if people want). Monthly updates should be enough and it would be at least 3 people who can update - admins and member who started the topic.

And it shouldn't be just to show off. I own way less sealed games than most members here but I'd still like such lists.

It was a good idea at the time, but I think some valid points have since been made against it, and rightly so. At the endof the day, I was aiming for something to invoke forum participation and to create something fun and interesting, regardless of howpointless it may seem - However, I do feel that after reading some of the comments above, it may not be to everybody's taste. After all, collecting sealed games in itself isn't for everyone - Some people enjoy throwing numbers around, others don't.

And as pointed out above, quality is more significant here (It seems) rather than quantity, so perhaps we can agree on a new idea? One which is more meaningful and represents the quality of the pieces in our collections rather than the quantity?
Gemini-Phoenix
Gemini-Phoenix

Number of posts : 1175
Country : Sealed games in collection: [number] profile field poll Flag_e10
Registration date : 2007-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Ostro Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:02 pm

jim.jupiter wrote:what exactly is the point of all that extra-numbers-field discussion? i can write that i have one million sealed games & there is no way to check (and what would be the purpose of checking anyway)
I was talking about a topic, not some awkward profile option.
You can throw in ridiculous numbers in the collection areas as well so wth.
Ostro
Ostro

Back to top Go down

Post by pandaholic Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:06 pm

I think there is a limit how few people you can have in a group and then split them into smaller groups. I mean, this is a very small forum, i just think having different elitist guilds would make conflicts, jealousy and such things more common. If this forum were very big like Neogaf, i would understand but this is a too little forum.
pandaholic
pandaholic
Complete in box, mint
Complete in box, mint

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Sol Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:30 pm

ahem...
Dark Sol
Dark Sol

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down