Sealed Game Heaven
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Would You Do...

4 posters

Go down

What Would You Do... Empty What Would You Do...

Post by Startyde Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:56 pm

So here's a random scenario.

We all like deals and great finds, it's what makes the hobby interesting. Say you come across a noob seller in that they are selling a bunch of prime amazing games cheap...has no idea of the value. You contact the seller and offer X for them. They agree, payment is made and the item is shipped.

Not an uncommon scenario. Happens all the time.

Here's the twist. Some jackass, not to be outdone, stumbles across your great snags and informs the seller that they are worth 100x more and that they would give them that much. The seller in turn writes to you saying he had no idea the value, he could use the money, it was wrong not to let them know, yada yada and he wants to undue the transaction,

Now, there is no legal precedent for their argument. What's done is done BUT...what would you do? Would you give the seller his due and allow him to collect on the value that is rightfully theirs or just never reply again and snicker away with your great snags.

Just curious.
Startyde
Startyde
shrinkwrapped (flawless)
shrinkwrapped (flawless)

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2007-11-28

http://startyde.rubberslug.com

Back to top Go down

What Would You Do... Empty Re: What Would You Do...

Post by bassman8866 Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:14 pm

so its shipped already?

If you have it in your hands and the transaction is done then (US) legally its a done deal. Sucks for that guy take it and go.
bassman8866
bassman8866
shrinkwrapped (with holes)
shrinkwrapped (with holes)

Number of posts : 380
Registration date : 2008-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Sol Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:25 pm

The deal is a deal.
A try is also a try. I've tried several times to convince sellers to sell to me for more. But it was not successful.
Dark Sol
Dark Sol
factory sealed SingStar ABBA
factory sealed SingStar ABBA

Number of posts : 2150
Registration date : 2007-11-16

http://www.jrpg.org

Back to top Go down

Post by The Imp Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:53 pm

Western Proverb: "All's fair in Love and War"
Eastern Proverb: "Business is War"

Startyde wrote:Now, there is no legal precedent for their argument.
An agreement, especially in writing such as in this case, is binding, from two friends to two governments. Furthermore, a legitimate sale, once completed, cannot be modified without agreement. It's the two most fundamental principals of commerce. I don't know exactly what their argument is, but it's nothing but begging if they think that they can violate those principals.

Startyde wrote:he had no idea the value
I don't see how that's your problem that he made a deal he had no idea about.

Startyde wrote:he could use the money
Again, so what does that have to do with you? You made an offer, he agreed. If he wasn't happy with the price, why did he agree? And if he didn't know, then what was he doing making deals with people without educating himself first? I could do with more money than I have, too. But I can't undo already-done deals to get it.

Startyde wrote:it was wrong not to let them know
It is not your job to do other people's work for them. He should have put in the effort to educate himself, and if he did, then he wouldn't have made a deal and then try to undo it. I'd love to try that crap with my stock broker: "It was the buyer's fault that I didn't make enough money by selling my stocks when I did! The buyer should give me his profits!"

Please excuse the scorn I have for people who think that, for some reason, it is the responsibility of *anyone/everyone but themselves* to make sure that they have equal advantage in any endeavor. It is your responsibility, and no-one elses, to ensure that you are educated in all but the most basic thing that you *freely choose* to do.

Startyde wrote:what would you do?
That all depends on whether I thought that I would ever deal with them again. Most likely, purely on the direction the transaction has taken so far, I'd guess that I wouldn't want to deal with them again even if they happened to have something I wanted (it'd be safer to use an intermediary if need be), and especially that since they obviously don't know what they're doing, they're not likely to be in the position to offer me anything I wanted again anyway. So, I'd pretty much ignore them (after delivering my rant about personal responsibility).

The Imp
cartridge+manual
cartridge+manual

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2007-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum