Sealed Game Heaven
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much does your collection worth? $

+2
Gemini-Phoenix
Dark Sol
6 posters

Go down

How much does your collection worth? $ Empty How much does your collection worth? $

Post by Dark Sol Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:11 pm

I'm looking at my collection and at max prices it's worth about 20000$ (~400-450 games. 362 games in personal collection and around 100 for sale). I could by a new car for that money Smile
Dark Sol
Dark Sol
factory sealed SingStar ABBA

Number of posts : 2150
Registration date : 2007-11-16

http://www.jrpg.org

Back to top Go down

How much does your collection worth? $ Empty Re: How much does your collection worth? $

Post by Gemini-Phoenix Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:18 pm

IGN values my 1100 games at just under £31,500 - Bearing in mind it doesn't take into consideration the fact that almost 900 of those games are sealed and obviously worth more than their used counterparts. There's a lot of rarities in my ccollection too which bump up the total value
Gemini-Phoenix
Gemini-Phoenix

Number of posts : 1175
Registration date : 2007-08-18

Back to top Go down

How much does your collection worth? $ Empty Re: How much does your collection worth? $

Post by bballno1 Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:54 pm

Gemini-Phoenix wrote:IGN values my 1100 games at just under £31,500 - Bearing in mind it doesn't take into consideration the fact that almost 900 of those games are sealed and obviously worth more than their used counterparts. There's a lot of rarities in my ccollection too which bump up the total value

over £30k worth of games affraid thats insane! pray cant wait to see pics of that collection :top:
bballno1
bballno1
shrinkwrapped (with holes)
shrinkwrapped (with holes)

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2008-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Sol Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:00 pm

wow 900 sealed games! tonn of cash invested i guess. J30000 is obscene! WOW! That's amazing... in love!
Dark Sol
Dark Sol

Number of posts : 2150
Registration date : 2007-11-16

http://www.jrpg.org

Back to top Go down

Post by The Imp Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:16 pm

My sealed collection has 441 titles at the moment (and over 1,100 opened titles, but some are doubled-up; for example, I have both sealed and unsealed copies of Final Fantasy XII, in both US regular and US limited edition, meaning that I have two sealed titles and two unsealed titles, but really only one actual *game*).

Anyway, my back-of-an-envelope calculation suggests that the sealed part of my collection is worth about US$20,000.

It's hard to calculate the value with any accuracy, of course. A shortcut I often take with my valuing is to simply value them at their original retail price (if they're still sealed). This ignores that fact that, sometimes, I bought it on eBay for pennies, but also that sometimes I paid a king's ransom. Also, that some games have gone down in value (whether I paid more or less than retail price when I actually bought it), while some have gone up. Given the balance between rare and common games that my collection has, it actually often works out almost the same (within a thousand dollars or so either way).

(For those who doubt this, that formula makes my sealed collection worth $22,050 - pretty darn close to the much more thoroughly researched estimate above).

Curiously, my "target" collection (ie; all of the games I ever intend to own) is calculated as costing me another US$200,000 to complete, even though it is only about another 4,000 games, and less than 1,000 of them would be sealed. Most likely, that's because my target collections includes things such as of arcade machines, which get included at up to US$5,000 each. Which is probably why I only have three at the moment…

The Imp
cartridge+manual
cartridge+manual

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2007-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini-Phoenix Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:46 pm

I think that if you value most your sealed games at half of their original RRP, then law of averages balances out the ones that are worth considerably less with the ones that are worth a small fortune - Therefore the £3 Dreamcast cheapies are balanced by the £80 PS1 rarities
Gemini-Phoenix
Gemini-Phoenix

Number of posts : 1175
Registration date : 2007-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post by violentsnake Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:51 am

I shudder to think how much money I've spent on Metal Gear - I don't even want to know.
violentsnake
violentsnake
cartridge+manual
cartridge+manual

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by happyheed Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:06 am

i would guess my collection is valued at about £8000 ???

cant believe i've spent so much on sealed games angry i must be mad silent
happyheed
happyheed
shrinkwrapped (flawless)
shrinkwrapped (flawless)

Number of posts : 539
Country : How much does your collection worth? $ Flag_scotland
Registration date : 2007-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by The Imp Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:01 am

> I think that if you value most your sealed games at half of their original RRP, then law of averages balances out the ones that are worth considerably less with the ones that are worth a small fortune - Therefore the £3 Dreamcast cheapies are balanced by the £80 PS1 rarities

Oh, absolutely - if you buy every game for an entire system, or a similar pattern.

But the formula, in my case, was based on what I had decided to collect, and it just so happened to work out that 100% original RRP per game, is about what it's worth.

Also, it might be tilted that way because of the particular titles that I have right now, because I focus on buying the rarest games first. That is to say, that in the future, the value of the collection will gradually slide away from 100%, perhaps indeed to 50%.

Anyway, I was just saying what works for me. I noticed the pattern once, and every time I've checked it against my proper calculations since, it always seems to still come up within 10%.

The Imp
cartridge+manual
cartridge+manual

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2007-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down