Sealed Game Heaven
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to store the games?

4 posters

Go down

How to store the games? Empty How to store the games?

Post by bekic Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:01 am

Hi guys. From what i have heard, sealed games can shrink if its to hot where you store them and then they will get holes in the cellophane. So i wonder, in wich temperature should you store them to avoid this? Does it have to be a dark place where they don't get sunshine on them?

bekic
cartridge only
cartridge only

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-04-03

Back to top Go down

How to store the games? Empty Re: How to store the games?

Post by Gemini-Phoenix Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:02 pm

To clarify, it's only shinkwrapped games that keep shrinking, and only then if they are stored in a warm environment. Normal cellophane wrapped games should be find.

Where shrinkwrap is concerned, yes, it does keep shrinking due to being a polymer, This results in the air-holes getting enlarged; Seams splitting; And corners ripping. You generally need to be more careful with shrinkwrapped games / Dvd's as they can tear easily as well. As cellophane is a non-polymer, it retains the same shape regardless, unless of course you store it next to a candle in which case it will shrivel and singe and probably burn your house down

Obviously it's wise to store your collection at general room temperature and out of direct sunlight. This also prevents the games from getting sunfaded too. Perhaps storing them behind smoked glass would help if you wish to have them on display. Personally I am very conscious regarding sunfading, and store my games / Dvd's in a room that is facing North and always has the curtains closed. Until recently, they were stored in crates out of the sunlight, but only recently i've decided to have them all on display
Gemini-Phoenix
Gemini-Phoenix

Number of posts : 1175
Registration date : 2007-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post by bekic Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:33 pm

ok but whats the difference between shrinkwrap and normal cellophane wrap? I really don't know anything about this. The nintendo games with the red nintendo strip, are they shrinkwraped or do they have cellophane?

bekic
cartridge only
cartridge only

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini-Phoenix Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:23 pm

bekic wrote:ok but whats the difference between shrinkwrap and normal cellophane wrap? I really don't know anything about this. The nintendo games with the red nintendo strip, are they shrinkwraped or do they have cellophane?

PAL Nintendo games with a red tear strip are cellophane sealed.

Shrinkwrapped games are polymer's, which means the plastic can be bent and stretched to a specific point before it bursts. Cellophane is a non-polymer, which means it keeps the same shape and cannot be bent and stretched. As a general rule, cellophane sealed games have "Y" style folded ends top and bottom (Otherwise known as "Envelope" style). Shrinkwrapped games usually have either a three sided seam running along the edges of the game or what is known as a "H" style seam (Americcan Nintendo games tend to be sealed in this manner)

bekic wrote:From what i have heard, sealed games can shrink if its to hot where you store them and then they will get holes in the cellophane.

In response to this, holes are usually caused when the shrinkwrap becomes too tight, and the tears appear at the point where the plastic is weakest - If the seams don't give way first, the tears will usually appear on the corners of the box or along the face of the game. If the shrinkwrap has any perforations (Usually manufacturers include "Air-holes" to relieve the pressure when sealing), then these will enlargen creating holes in the plastic
Gemini-Phoenix
Gemini-Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by Achilles420 Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:43 am

How about NTSC PS2/Xbox/N64/Snes games--cellophane or shrink?

Gemini-Phoenix wrote:To clarify, it's only shinkwrapped games that keep shrinking, and only then if they are stored in a warm environment. Normal cellophane wrapped games should be find.

Where shrinkwrap is concerned, yes, it does keep shrinking due to being a polymer, This results in the air-holes getting enlarged; Seams splitting; And corners ripping. You generally need to be more careful with shrinkwrapped games / Dvd's as they can tear easily as well. As cellophane is a non-polymer, it retains the same shape regardless, unless of course you store it next to a candle in which case it will shrivel and singe and probably burn your house down

Obviously it's wise to store your collection at general room temperature and out of direct sunlight. This also prevents the games from getting sunfaded too. Perhaps storing them behind smoked glass would help if you wish to have them on display. Personally I am very conscious regarding sunfading, and store my games / Dvd's in a room that is facing North and always has the curtains closed. Until recently, they were stored in crates out of the sunlight, but only recently i've decided to have them all on display
Achilles420
Achilles420
cartridge+manual
cartridge+manual

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2007-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Ostro Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:10 pm

N64 and SNES (NTSC) are always shrinkwrapped I think.
Might be wrong though
Ostro
Ostro
Complete in box, good condition
Complete in box, good condition

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2007-07-29

http://kris.mkrevo.de/collection/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini-Phoenix Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:58 pm

Ostro wrote:N64 and SNES (NTSC) are always shrinkwrapped I think.
Might be wrong though

Correct. These are often shrinkwrapped with the "H" style seam. These tend to suffer from torn corners due to the sharp box corners puncturing through the weak points of the plastic once it shrinks. Split seams are also common if the plastic becomes too tight
Gemini-Phoenix
Gemini-Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by Achilles420 Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:11 pm

Gemini-Phoenix wrote:
Ostro wrote:N64 and SNES (NTSC) are always shrinkwrapped I think.
Might be wrong though

Correct. These are often shrinkwrapped with the "H" style seam. These tend to suffer from torn corners due to the sharp box corners puncturing through the weak points of the plastic once it shrinks. Split seams are also common if the plastic becomes too tight

I keep these games in a cool/dark place. Also in either bubble wrap or clear plastic protection cases. This is best correct?
Achilles420
Achilles420
cartridge+manual
cartridge+manual

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2007-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down