Sealed Game Heaven
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why several copies?!?

+14
jim.jupiter
bassman8866
yobo
Jo.Seph
MCJD4ever
Pascal
Adol
Startyde
blarky
happyheed
rarebucky
striker
wheelaa
Dark Sol
18 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Why several copies?!? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why several copies?!?

Post by MCJD4ever Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:26 am

With me, it mainly comes down to how much I love a game. For instance, FFX is my absolute favorite game of all-time from every genre from every system. I own 5 sealed black label copies of that game, and don't plan to sell any. Call me crazy...3 of them I bought at USA retail myself when I was a freshmen in college, and the others I got later. I just have so many fond memories of that game....

Now, I do also own multiple copies of some other pretty rare games...and as someone else said, it was mainly me holding on to 1 and trying to obtain a nicer copy. Well, take Chrono Trigger...I have 2 copies because I recently got a perfect one. Chrono Trigger is my second favorite game of all time after FFX, so I definitely don't mind owning two copies of it.

It's when people start "hoarding" (when I say hoarding, I mean more than 2 copies of ULTRA rare games) 5+ copies of really rare games (I know a d00shbag who has 8 sealed FFIIs, and over 20 Chrono Triggers - I kid you not) that I consider selfish. This person has NEVER EVEN PLAYED A SINGLE VIDEO GAME HIS WHOLE LIFE, and only collects for the investment, which I think is dumb. I work in Finance, and can tell you there are better investments...

Bottom line...I see no problem owning more than 1 copy of a game...but to a certain point, folks!

MCJD4ever
cartridge+manual
cartridge+manual

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2007-11-30

Back to top Go down

Post by rarebucky Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:31 am

I dunno...to me anything more than 1, whether it's 2, 3, 4, 5, whatever is silly. But it seems I'm on a different page than you guys...

rarebucky
factory sealed, gem mint
factory sealed, gem mint

Number of posts : 1369
Registration date : 2007-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by striker Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:35 am

I agree.

Never would I like to own more than 1 copy of a game. Once I get mine I stop searching for it completely.

and I don't believe for 1 second your story about 20 sealed chrono triggers in one place.
striker
striker
factory sealed, y-fold (with tears)
factory sealed, y-fold (with tears)

Number of posts : 744
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Jo.Seph Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:00 am

G.R.E.E.D.

Well for me, if I find a game cheap enough, dosnt matter what it is, ill get it. Even if I already have it. But I wont go out of my way to collect multiple copies of the same game. My 0.02

Jo.Seph
cartridge+manual
cartridge+manual

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Adol Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:07 am

striker wrote:The reason for selling it is to help other's complete their collections. I like to think that sealed collector's should be friends not enemies, but that's the feeling I get sometimes.

And nobody said you have to sell it for less than you paid.

Yes i think that sealed collector's should be friends too.
But in reality,nobody helped me, and generally bid against me so i have to pay ENORMOUS amounts of mo,ney to get what i want.That's not very friendly,isn't it? Smile

rarebucky wrote:
Because, Adol, I know this is a foreign concept to you - sometimes it's good to help fellow collectors out. That is why we sell games we already have copies of. It has nothing to do with the price or needing money. No one is saying you should sell games for less than you paid (though that does happen when you overpay). We are simply talking about helping others' collections out by filling in missing games. But I guess when people have to have 100 copies of every rare game out there that concept doesn't exist. It is just selfishness, no other reason. I would love to see you actually sell some of your dupes on this forum to other members to help out our collections but that will never happen.

And you sell games for helping people, not because you need the money? How hypocritic you are.

You have guts to say such lie. helping people is as much as a foreign concept to you than it is to me,if not much.
Let's be concrete:
I'm helping Thibaut just now,paying in advance 2500$ for him,IN ADVANCE. I'm not winning $0.01 for it,and i help him getting rare PCE collectors. Are you doing such thing for a fellow collector this month?
Please, when you don't know someone,just SHUT UP.

And again,this is my friend i'm buying the games for. The US NTSC SNES factory sealed games at least.
Do you think i could DECIDE for him? If he doesn't want to sell, i cannot FORCE him,i'm just writing down how he feels.
You're misjudging ME,by interpretating HIS behaviour. You're ridiculous.
I'm a person who don't overpay SNES games, i'm a person who help other collectors (Thibaut,Emmanuel since it is his name),by paying in ADVANCE stuff for them,not winning a cent.
That's a concept of helping FAR away of your actions.
You really owe me an apology,dude.

Adol
shrinkwrapped (with holes)

Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2007-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Adol Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:09 am

MCJD4ever wrote:With me, it mainly comes down to how much I love a game. For instance, FFX is my absolute favorite game of all-time from every genre from every system. I own 5 sealed black label copies of that game, and don't plan to sell any. Call me crazy...

Wow,you must feel lucky Rarebucky didn't insult you yet.

Adol

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Sol Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:31 am

rarebucky insults noone here i guess. Me as well. Smile
We just want to ask people why they sit on multiple copies (even not perfect ones) and do not even pass them to other collector's. This is Scrooge McDuck illness. lol! Of cause it's not easy to let em go. And it has nothing to do with helping friends by paying in advance. It's different. I think you're not buying Actraiser for your friend, Adol? Very Happy
Laughing yes!
Dark Sol
Dark Sol
factory sealed SingStar ABBA

Number of posts : 2150
Registration date : 2007-11-16

http://www.jrpg.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Adol Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:34 am

Yes,it's different.
But rarebucky speak and judges of a behaviour that is not mine,and he knows it (that i don't buy those games for myself). My thoughts:
1) He is no one to judge such behaviour,and speak of selfishness.
2) He's judging a behaviour that is NOT mine,and yet he decide to say I AM selfish.
While in fact my acts would say i'm the opposite.
And i have yet to see if he's helping other fellow collectors like i do every day.

That's why i said that when he doesn't know someone,it's better for him to just shut up.

Dark Sol: I do NOT buy US NTSC stuff for me, 99% of the time. I collect japanese stuff only,with an exception of SMS i have European complete set,because it reminds me of my childhood.
Then if i buy US NTSC Actraisers,that's for him,yes. Not for me.
I have the best version possible: the original one,japanese,which came out in 1990.The original piece of work. Brand new. I can't do better lol!

Adol

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelaa Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:39 am

Why all the damn hate! Sealed vg collectors are sad enough as it is without everyone of us bitching on each other.

IMO a far sadder situation is when people buy sealed games they've never even played! Where's the logic in that? Where's the affinity to the games in that? Nowhere and nowhere. Utterly pointless. Why have 30 games for a system you've never touched. Sadder by far imo than owning 30 sealed Chrono Triggers.

wheelaa
Complete in box, good condition
Complete in box, good condition

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Sol Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:16 pm

Adol wrote:
Dark Sol: I do NOT buy US NTSC stuff for me, 99% of the time.
and..
Really???
"Adol: I still have 2,but i am NOT selling it.
I paid one for $100-150 like 5 years ago yes,but the other one for $300
and i saw one ending for more than $400 some years ago as well (back when Super Mario All Stars was going sold for $700+)". Not that i'm pushing you to sell it. it's your business. But you're not honest with us. Smile
Dark Sol
Dark Sol

Back to top Go down

Post by Adol Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:17 pm

I completely agree with you,wheelaa.

Adol

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Sol Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:18 pm

wheelaa wrote:Why all the damn hate! Sealed vg collectors are sad enough as it is without everyone of us bitching on each other.

IMO a far sadder situation is when people buy sealed games they've never even played! Where's the logic in that? Where's the affinity to the games in that? Nowhere and nowhere. Utterly pointless. Why have 30 games for a system you've never touched. Sadder by far imo than owning 30 sealed Chrono Triggers.
That's a very deep sh*t indeed. lol! I mean.... like owning 30 sealed chrono triggers and never play a single game.....retarded...
Dark Sol
Dark Sol

Back to top Go down

Post by Adol Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:20 pm

Dark Sol wrote:
Adol wrote:
and..
Really???
and i saw one ending for more than $400 some years ago as well (back when Super Mario All Stars was going sold for $700+)". Not that i'm pushing you to sell it. it's your business. But you're not honest with us. Smile

I'm talking for my friend.Simple.I paid (because, as i said, i pay the game and he refunds me,since he doesn't even how to use internet correctly),and i saw one edning for more than $400,etc.
But i'm not the owner of the 2 actraisers, he is. I'm just an intermediary.
I completely honest,and told from the beginning i'm buying US NTSC games for my friend.
I personally don't own US NTSC SNES factory sealed games,plain and simple.
I own 450+ PC Engine factory sealed titles,i own hundreds of factory sealed games,but generally in japanese form.
I do NOT care about US NTSC SNES factory sealed games,personally,because i play japanese imports since i'm 9.

Adol

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Sol Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:23 pm

Adol wrote:
Dark Sol wrote:
Adol wrote:
and..
Really???

I'm talking for my friend.Simple.I paid (because, as i said, i pay the game and he refunds me,since he doesn't even how to use internet correctly),and i saw one edning for more than $400,etc.
But i'm not the owner of the 2 actraisers, he is. I'm just an intermediary.
I completely honest,and told from the beginning i'm buying US NTSC games for my friend.
I personally don't own US NTSC SNES factory sealed games,plain and simple.
I own 450+ PC Engine factory sealed titles,i own hundreds of factory sealed games,but generally in japanese form.
I do NOT care about US NTSC SNES factory sealed games,personally,because i play japanese imports since i'm 9.

ehhhh i don't get it then bro.
You said YOU have 2 of them "Adol: I still have 2,but i am NOT selling it."
Or is it a mistake here?? Do you mean "you" = your friend.
Dark Sol
Dark Sol

Back to top Go down

Post by Adol Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:34 pm

Yes!Emmanuel has them.
It is a common fact on french boards (and to people who asked me privately like some users here) that i bid for a french friend on SNES US games.
I don't have an unlimited wallet for those games AND my 24 japanese fullsets.

Adol

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Sol Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:40 pm

Adol wrote:Yes!Emmanuel has them.
It is a common fact on french boards (and to people who asked me privately like some users here) that i bid for a french friend on SNES US games.
I don't have an unlimited wallet for those games AND my 24 japanese fullsets.
Oh now it is clear! Damnn....
You don't have em. I see.
Dark Sol
Dark Sol

Back to top Go down

Post by rarebucky Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:39 pm

Wow, I go to sleep and this topic really got some people fired up! I wasn't judging you Adol. I was simply stating my opinion that owning multiple copies of a game is stupid. That is my opinion (shared by others here as well) and I am entitled to it. So after reading all of the posts I would conclude your friend Emmanuel has a problem. Not you, but your friend. You might want to look into getting him some help for his disease Smile

rarebucky
factory sealed, gem mint
factory sealed, gem mint

Number of posts : 1369
Registration date : 2007-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by MCJD4ever Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:27 pm

striker wrote:I agree.

Never would I like to own more than 1 copy of a game. Once I get mine I stop searching for it completely.

and I don't believe for 1 second your story about 20 sealed chrono triggers in one place.

Am I supposed to care that you don't believe me? I could even give you his ebay ID, and he'd probably admit it upfront. I wont reveal his name on this board, but he literally has entire warehouses of factory sealed SNES games. Even games no one cares about, like Yoshi's Safari or Tetris. He is already a millionaire, from what I understand, and solely collects for investments. He told me point blank that he had (and this was a year ago) 8 FFIIs and around 20 sealed Chrono Triggers, though some were in crappy condition. He wouldn't sell me a thing.

Now THAT is selfish.

MCJD4ever
cartridge+manual
cartridge+manual

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2007-11-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Sol Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:57 pm

MCJD4ever wrote:
striker wrote:I agree.

Am I supposed to care that you don't believe me? I could even give you his ebay ID, and he'd probably admit it upfront. I wont reveal his name on this board, but he literally has entire warehouses of factory sealed SNES games. Even games no one cares about, like Yoshi's Safari or Tetris. He is already a millionaire, from what I understand, and solely collects for investments. He told me point blank that he had (and this was a year ago) 8 FFIIs and around 20 sealed Chrono Triggers, though some were in crappy condition. He wouldn't sell me a thing.

Now THAT is selfish.
Now THAT is stupidity i guess. better word. lol! I cannot even find right words for it... geek
Dark Sol
Dark Sol

Back to top Go down

Post by Adol Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:59 pm

rarebucky wrote:Wow, I go to sleep and this topic really got some people fired up! I wasn't judging you Adol. I was simply stating my opinion that owning multiple copies of a game is stupid. That is my opinion (shared by others here as well) and I am entitled to it. So after reading all of the posts I would conclude your friend Emmanuel has a problem. Not you, but your friend. You might want to look into getting him some help for his disease Smile

Well,considering he's much more aged than me (i'm 28,he's 39),that he has no kid or wife, i guess he has much more money to spend on those games. He indeed has a problem, but if he feels happy that way,i can only be happy for him.

Adol

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Sol Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:00 pm

Adol wrote:
rarebucky wrote:Wow, I go to sleep and this topic really got some people fired up! I wasn't judging you Adol. I was simply stating my opinion that owning multiple copies of a game is stupid. That is my opinion (shared by others here as well) and I am entitled to it. So after reading all of the posts I would conclude your friend Emmanuel has a problem. Not you, but your friend. You might want to look into getting him some help for his disease Smile

Well,considering he's much more aged than me (i'm 28,he's 39),that he has no kid or wife, i guess he has much more money to spend on those games. He indeed has a problem, but if he feels happy that way,i can only be happy for him.
Ohh.. shit i hope i won't be as this dude. I'd better make kids and get a wife right now. lol!
Dark Sol
Dark Sol

Back to top Go down

Post by Startyde Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:47 pm

Adol wrote:Well,considering he's much more aged than me (i'm 28,he's 39),that he has no kid or wife, i guess he has much more money to spend on those games. He indeed has a problem, but if he feels happy that way,i can only be happy for him.

Whoa, you're 28 and have 24 complete Japanese sets? I'm 27 and now I feel like I have wasted my life...lol.

Dark Sol wrote:Ohh.. shit i hope i won't be as this dude. I'd better make kids and get a wife right now. :lol!

Well, maybe not in that order ;P
Startyde
Startyde
shrinkwrapped (flawless)
shrinkwrapped (flawless)

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2007-11-28

http://startyde.rubberslug.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pascal Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:37 pm

rarebucky wrote:
Pascal wrote:the logic of buying several copies is simple my friend:
It is like buying more than one share !
You just hope that the value of that game increases ...
If you have luck you can get a multiple profit!

I have to disagree with you on this. If that is the theory why people do that then I am definitely on the wrong forum. That is just stupid, yes, stupid. We collect games because we all grew up with them and for various reasons want to hold onto those memories and sealed games are a great way to do that. But to buy up as many copies of "rare" games as possible because you think the value will increase is the wrong reason. I'll have to agree with striker's rationale on this. If you are looking for "investments" there are certainly better things to put your money in than video games.

I didn't say that is the only reason! Of course, there are many other reasons and I didn't say that this is the only reason I have. I just wanted to give an example for buying several copies ...
Pascal
Pascal
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2007-07-29

http://www.sealedgameheaven.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Sol Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:12 pm

Startyde wrote:
Well, maybe not in that order ;P
damn...owned me. ... lol!
Dark Sol
Dark Sol

Back to top Go down

Post by Adol Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:16 pm

Startyde wrote:Whoa, you're 28 and have 24 complete Japanese sets? I'm 27 and now I feel like I have wasted my life...lol.

Yes,i just got 28 in March (i'm born 1980).

Adol

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next